Saturday, October 3, 2009

Kids Corner

(Olive Press/Phoenicia Times September 10, 2009)

One day I went to school with a shirt with spaghetti straps. Someone in my class told me that I had to keep my coat on because shirt straps had to be “two fingers wide.” I don’t like this rule. There are so many cute shirts with straps that aren’t two fingers wide. I also don’t know why they have this rule. I have heard some schools have really strict dress codes, like you have to wear uniforms. I would hate that. It’s like the school is trying to make kids their minions, making them all the same. I just got new school clothes. They’re not even close to uniform (except one skirt I have is plaid). When I put on clothes, it’s a way to express feelings. When I’m sad I can wear blue, when I’m tense I can wear black, and if I’m excited or confident I wear things that make me look sharp, like fun and funky patterns and colors. One time I wore a tie to school and two boys said to me, “why are you wearing a tie? Ties are for boys.” I told them, “clothes have no gender,” because that’s how I feel about it. What I really wanted to make my wardrobe pop this year was a sailor shirt. Unfortunately, sailor shirts aren’t in the stores right now so I’m still looking. My teacher from last year, Ms. Warren, has very organized fashion—she always looks clean and put together, like she knows what she is doing even if it’s not what I would wear. I don’t feel comfortable in shrugs, but I saw Danielle wearing one last year and she set a trend because she looked so cool. I can appreciate the way other people express themselves through fashion. I heard someone say, “fashion is pain.” I think this means HIGH HEEL SHOES. I do not like these kinds of shoes, but what’s funny is I don’t think there’s any dress code about them. How about telling me what your fashion sense is.

3 comments:

  1. Cally,
    Boy, could we sit down and have a LONG conversation! I was the same exact way in school, back the in OLD days......and still am. I had to wear uniform skirts, so my only form of self expression was my choice of shirt/jacket/shoes/tights/etc.....I, too used to wear ties alot,in the 7th grade, with old men's vests from the thrift store. It was my "Diane Keaton" look. I got all kinds of crap for that. And, once in high school, I wore a purple paratrooper suit with white gogo boots with a man's suit coat. I got sent to the office.....I was accused of basically crossdressing, wanting to be a man( It was a SUPER religious school).
    I just wanted to be a punk rocker, that's all. Be myself. And, that's why I always let my son wear pretty much what he wants to wear. He's autistic and unique. I don't let his autism be his defining quality. He's way too interesting for that. He's funny and funky and likes things that don't fit into someone else's tidy definition of normal, whatever that is.
    So,Cally, keep on keeping on. You rock! Your whole family rocks....Tell your mom I love her. Can't wait to meet you one day.
    Marci Rasbury

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cally,
    In Australia all the kids wear uniforms. It is something you get used to. I don't like the lack of individuality, but I do like that there is no fuss about what to wear in the morning.

    At the elementary school the kids are even encouraged to have the same backpacks! How Bronte can tell her bag from the 25 others in her class beats me.

    On "free dress day" the kids pay $2 to a charity for the priviledge of dressing as they please, as long as it adheres to sun safety rules. No spaghetti straps and shoulders must be covered to protect from the sun. Closed in shoes, no sandals. The sun is very strong here and a hat is a must.

    Hope you find your sailor shirt.

    Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was accused of basically crossdressing, wanting to be a man

    Work From Home india

    ReplyDelete