Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Kids Corner

(Olive Press/Phoenicia Times October 8, 2009)

The Dahlia is a beautiful, common flower that goes nicely in an arrangement with carrot top greens. They grew from August, all the way through September on our porch. They were my brother’s favorite flower. The first thing that comes up in my mind with Nasturtium is “edible arrangement.” These flowers taste like pepper conjoined with sweetness. My dad just said (when he heard me read this aloud), “the last time I heard a description like this, it was about me!” I guess I can believe my dad is a nasturtium. Like him, they don’t smell that good. We didn’t grow babies’ breath in our garden, and I sort of wish we had. They are not about size. They are about beauty. I think mice are like this, although my mother strongly disagrees with me. My family grew pink roses, with a light, lovely scent. Evi, who rides my bus, gave me a rose mint and it was really good. Of all the flowers we grew, flox had the best smell. It was overly floral if you brought it inside. Outside, it smelled just perfect. I give these flowers a Fall farewell. Soon they will freeze and wither. BUT…they will come again next spring! I will welcome them back with a warm “hello.” This means I will also have to say “hello” to the pollen, which is definitely not my best friend. Right around that time school will also be a drag for me. Hmmmm, come to think of it, pumpkins are beautiful. They are bright orange lumps of sweetness that bring me pie. Happy Fall everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment